Good to know, you have bought a comprehensive two-wheeler insurance policy for your motorcycle. Afterall, your bike is your most valuable possession and the insurance is like icing on the cake!
But do you know how to approach the insurer in case of any accident or loss? Let me rephrase it—Do you know the claim process? Well, if you have taken more than ten seconds in saying yes, then believe me, this article is just for you— It will help you know how to approach the insurer and what documents to submit in order toexpedite the claim settlement process.
Two types of claim settlement:
- Cashless Claim Settlement:-Most of the motor insurance companies havetied up with workshops or repair centres where you can get your vehicle repaired without bearing any expenses. The insurer will pay expenses directly to the repair centre.
- Reimbursement ClaimSettlement:- You can get your vehicle repaired at any garage and make payment which you can later reimbursed from the insurance company.
Steps for filling a two-wheeler insurance claim
- Register a Claim
After an accident, park your vehicle in a safe place to avoid any further damage and follow the below steps:
- Contact the insurer via phone or visit any of the insurer’s branches to register a claim. You will be asked to share the policy number along with your name, email address and driving license details. The insurer will issue a claim number for your future reference
- Fill the claim form with the following details:
- Policy number
- Contact Number
- Name of the policyholder
- Date & time of accident
- Vehicle number
- Make & model of the vehicle
- Extent and Location of loss
- Brief description of how the accident took place
- Garage name and number
If you have taken your vehicle to a network garage or workshop, you can get a claim form from there as well. Else, download it from the insurer’s website.
- Send your vehicle to a repair centre
In case of an accident, take your vehicle to a nearby garage (if movable), or have it towed to avoid further damages. The insurer will appoint a surveyor to inspect the vehicle. Be ready with the duly filled claim form, a copy of the registration certificate and the driving license, which you can be asked to submit at the time of vehicle inspection.Once the inspection is done, the insurer’s representative will take care of the claim process and will be in touch with the policyholder and the workshop for repairs and disbursal of funds. You can track the status of your claim with the help of the claim number. In most of the cases, insurers send claim updates through SMS.
- Claim Settlement
Here is a list of documents that you should keep handy while filing a claim:
In case your bike meets with an accident, submit the following documents to the insurer:
|Copy of insurance policy/Cover note copy||Copy of Registration Book, Tax Receipt|
|Copy of driving license of the person riding the vehicle at the time of accident||FIR/Police Panchanama in case of third-party loss/damage/bodily injury|
|Repair Estimates||Repair bills and payment receipts once the work is done. In case of cashless garage, only repair invoice is sufficient|
|Claim discharge- cum- satisfaction voucher signed across a revenue stamp|
In case of theft, file an FIR on an immediate basis and submit the following documents:
|Copy of insurance policy/Cover Note||Original Registration Book with Theft endorsement from the concerned RTO|
|Tax payment receipt||Copy of driving license|
|Form 28, 29 and 30 signed by the insured and Form 35 signed by the Financer, as per the case||Original FIR/Police Report|
|Both key sets/service booklet/warranty card||Letter of Subrogation|
|Consent received on the claim settlement between you and the financier||NOC (No Objection Certificate) of the financer if claim is settledin favour of a policyholder|
|Claim discharge form signed across a revenue stamp|
Youcan also be asked to submit both key sets to prove that your bike has not been stolen due to your negligence.
The insurer offers coverage in case your vehicle causes loss or damage to another person or vehicle. For that, you need to submit the following documents:
|A duly filled and signed claim form by the policyholder||Original FIR/police report|
|RC copy of the vehicle|
Note: The above listed documents are indicative. For more details, please visit the insurer’s website or check your bike insurancepolicy document.
Important Points to Remember
- Even if you have a comprehensive bike insurance, the insurer will not settle the entire claim as depreciation will be deducted. Also, any deductible amount has to be paid by you before the insurer settles the claim
- Unless you don’t want your insurance policy to cover your damages, never get your vehicle repaired without informing the insurance company
- A two-wheeler insurance offers coverage regardless of where the accident happens or where you get your bike repaired. However, to prevent further damages, get your vehicle repaired before bringing it on the road. The insurer doesn’t cover consequent losses
- You can approach the insurer even if someone else was driving your vehicle, provided the person has a valid license
- No claim is settled if the accident happened when the person was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
They say, ignorance is bliss, but the same is not true in case of two-wheeler insurance. So, have a clear understanding of the claim process to extract the maximum out of the insurance policy.